Emmanuel George Cefai
The artesian well--how cool is it!
The artesian well- how cool is it!
Its sides with the dews of waters cool
And in it heaven in the waters cool!
How much ‘tis needed now-to cool the brain
The throbbing of the blood in the revolt
That now in fury red assails the brain.
The artesian well-how graces it the green
Where bees and flowers sport and children play
And the shade tiptoes in the afternoons
When lazy summer heat the green leas cloud.
When the soft dusk is knocking at the door
Of the antique house alone in country strewn
Where the day resteth after the blazing sun
Had stunneth with a pleasant laziness
From its full zenith at the mid-day peak:
The artesian well how they heard it
Speak in the night to the light-winking stars
That look from heaven’s rails adown to earth
And then they say a plaintive tale they hear
From the artesian well echo and sound
And some stars weep - but the content
Only they know - no human has yet known!
Emmanuel George Cefai's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The artesian well--how cool is it! by Emmanuel George Cefai )
Did you read them?
- Loneliness, Ashwini Annigeri
- समनि नायथाय- 25, Ronjoy Brahma
- I am not uttering, gajanan mishra
- Holy and pure, hasmukh amathalal
- For All The Love In Me, Sasha Claire Beckains
- Sick of Seeing So Much Violence on the S.., Hebert Logerie
- Tomar charan dhuli, ramesh rai
- All horizons, hasmukh amathalal
- The area of no envy, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Your true friend is in you, Ashwini Annigeri
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Call It Music, Philip Levine
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(January 10, 1928)