John Bliven Morin
The Ballad of Anne Bonny, page 1 of 2
“Drain the bowl, each fearless soul!
Let the world wag as it will;
Let the heavens howl, the devil growl,
Drain the bowl, and fill! ”
- Anne Bonny
Anne Bonny was a pirate lass
Who sailed the deep blue sea;
With pistol mean and cutlass keen,
A fighting girl was she.
Calico Jack was her lover true,
As they sailed the Spanish Main;
They took whate’er they fancied there;
They were the merchant’s bane.
When a merchant galleon they would spy,
They’d chase her down the tide;
As the cannons’ roared, they’d try to board;
The grappling hooks flew wide.
Leading the boarding party, bold,
Dressed as a man, to sight,
First to board with her deadly sword,
Anne Bonny loved the fight!
One day Anne learned that she
Was going to have a child;
She went ashore until she bore
A daughter, sweet and mild.
But the girl was born before her time,
And did not live the day;
Calico Jack, when he came back,
Looked on Anne with dismay.
Arrested by the Governor,
Anne Bonny she was freed
By a bold corsair with flowing hair,
Fellow pirate, Mary Read.
With Mary Read and Calico Jack,
Anne Bonny did terrorize
The merchant fleet where’er they’d meet,
As they took prize after prize.
One day when the men of the crew all slept,
After drinking away their cares,
The Governor’s men attacked them then,
And took them unawares.
John Bliven Morin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ballad of Anne Bonny, page 1 of 2 by John Bliven Morin )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
Poem of the Day
- Passion and Risks, UMBELINA FROTA Linhares Pime ..
- Snip!, Lawrence Beck
- Today I learned that I am an orphan - Th.., Dee Jay
- To Glorify Jesus, Tom Zart
- I only scribed dirge but she killed thee.., Sir Toby Moses
- I only scribed a dirge but she killed th.., Sir Toby Moses
- Imitation., Tony Adah
- Stupid Wife, kassem oude
- Suicide Note., Tony Adah
- Everything Nothing, Ruby Honeytip