ivor or ivor.e hogg
The birth of poetry for M lady Mary Gordley
The birth of poetry.
Before the advent of the written word.
When all knowledge was passed on orally.
then history relied on memory.
Men had to memorise all that they heard
Perhaps this was the birth of poetry.
The tribal elders found they could recall
in simple rhyming verses best of all.
Easily committed to memory.
Long, long before recorded history.
The elders chose and trained one man to be
The current guardian of their legacy
of knowledge they had garnered carefully.
When all knowledge was passed on orally
Then history relied on memory
http: //blog my space.com.poetic piers
ivor or ivor.e hogg's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The birth of poetry for M lady Mary Gordley by ivor or ivor.e hogg )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Thoughts Of A Father, Edgar Albert Guest
- His Dog, Edgar Albert Guest
- Living Flowers, Edgar Albert Guest
- The Old Timer Pallas'Cat - Lincoln Park .., Ima Ryma
- Father's Chore, Edgar Albert Guest
- BURN YOUR FEARS, Raaida Salik
- IMPOSTER, Raaida Salik
- SALVATION 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- NAKED DANCE, Raaida Salik
- My Big Dream, Tony Adah