Frances Ellen Watkins Harper
"Build me a house," said the Master,
"But not on the shifting sand,
Mid the wreck and roar of tempests,
A house that will firmly stand.
"I will bring thee windows of agates,
And gates of carbuncles bright,
And thy fairest courts and portals
Shall be filled with love and light.
"Thou shalt build with fadeless rubies,
All fashioned around the throne,
A house that shall last forever,
With Christ as the cornerstone.
"It shall be a royal mansion,
A fair and beautiful thing,
It will be the presence-chamber
Of thy Saviour, Lord and King.
"Thy house shall he bound with pinions
To mansions of rest above,
But grace shall forge all the fetters
With the links and cords of love.
"Thou shalt he free in this mansion
From sorrow and pain of heart,
For the peace of God shall enter,
And never again depart."
Frances Ellen Watkins Harper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Building by Frances Ellen Watkins Harper )
- Hoping For The Best, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 'what color is it? ' they thought, after.., Mandolyn ...
- mary the narcoleptic shepherd, joni frog
- First Encounter - khairy Jamaluddin, john tiong chunghoo
- Laugh And Chuckle, Harold R Hunt Sr
- In success, hasmukh amathalal
- You are not allowed, gajanan mishra
- Liaison, hasmukh amathalal
- Coming To Light, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sally With Arachnophobia ..... [SPIDERS.., Bri Edwards
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)