The Cathedral in the Woods
Like a sudden chill that runs down
The ridge of my back, the morning
Has come again to offer anew, the taste
That satisfies my poetic thirst.
I hear the waterfall rushing down
The gorge invisible, yet not far away.
So too the songbirds, their voices
Ring out in sweetest harmony.
Like church bells, the music ushers
In hymns and awakens the communion
Of the forest. And the old Priest, is he
Looking down from a distance?
Fleet footed deer, soulful eyed, arrive
Up from the nearby Blue Ridge.
Nibbling on the buds, they greedily
Partake of my garden’s sacrifice.
In the distance stands the Humpback, and as
The sun rises and offers its sweetest wine
My lover and I make confession, and drink
In the blessings, of a place called Wintergreen.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Cathedral in the Woods by Jackie Allen )
- Clouds of brinkmanship, Oti Egwu
- Heroes, Nassy Fesharaki
- O1O→5959→1049 신규 대전오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- 신세계 대전오피 010↔5959↔1049 대전서구오피, O1Oa5959a1049 O1Oa5959a1049
- The Empty Room, Maria Magdalena Biela
- Dream liner, Stephen Brian Brady
- peeping Tom, lee fones
- pension scheme, lee fones
- meri sohbat me........., sanjay kumar maurya
- Let me know, Cee Bea
Poem of the Day
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)