(Ezekiel, xxxvi. 25-28)
The Lord proclaims His grace abroad!
"Behold, I change your hearts of stone;
Each shall renounce his idol-god,
And serve, henceforth, the Lord alone.
"My grace, a flowing stream, proceeds
To wash your filthiness away;
Ye shall abhor your former deeds,
And learn my statutes to obey.
"My truth the great design ensures,
I give myself away to you;
You shall be mine, I will be yours,
Your God unalterably true.
"Yet not unsought or unimplored,
The plenteous grace I shall confer;
No -- your whole hearts shall seek the Lord,
I'll put a praying spirit there.
"From the first breath of life divine
Down to the last expiring hour,
The gracious work shall all be mine,
Begun and ended in my power."
William Cowper's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Covenant by William Cowper )
- Yes and no two words, gajanan mishra
- sister forever, yolandey breedt
- Diya (Reposted), DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Life is better shared, belinda mrwebi
- What Is It?, Leloudia Migdali
- Wald, Paola Degli Esposti
- Sex Ed, Betsy Sholl
- Creamer Quest, Antonio Liao
- O For a Thousand Tongues, Betsy Sholl
- What I Can Say: To My Sisters, Betsy Sholl
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Drinking Song, William Butler Yeats
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 April 1918 – 27 February 2002)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)