Once more I write a line to you,
While darker shadows fall;
Dear friends of mine who have been true,
And steadfast through it all.
If I have written bitter rhymes,
With many lines that halt,
And if I have been false at times
It was not all my fault.
To Heaven’s decree I would not bow,
And I sank very low—
The bitter things are written now,
And we must let them go.
But I feel softened as I write;
The better spirit springs,
And I am very sad to-night
Because of many things.
The friendships that I have abused,
The trust I did betray,
The talents that I have misused,
The gifts I threw away.
The things that did me little good,
And—well my cheeks might burn—
The kindly letters that I should
Have answered by return.
But you might deem them answered now,
And answered from my heart;
And injured friends will understand
’Tis I who feel the smart.
But I have done with barren strife
And dark imaginings,
And in my future work and life
Will seek the better things.
Henry Lawson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Cross-Roads by Henry Lawson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- You Are Not Even Modern And Instead of B.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- One family, gajanan mishra
- Hamlet, You Too Are Writing Poems, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Christmas The Season, Valentine Mbagu
- Sinking Sun, Aftab Alam
- EMOTIONS, Eugene Latumbo
- LOVE, Eugene Latumbo
- Duty of a good friend, gajanan mishra
- FRIENDSHIP, Eugene Latumbo
- Inspiration, Michael P. McParland