The Day I Wore A Swear Word
Who funk it that this day will come
Cockroaches invade my desolate slum
Rats and snakes eve's scary creatures
Swear words drunken man best features.
Holly molly my venture into angry word's dare
Public domain restrain me from spilling my swear
But when at home at night on the bottle
I drink and drink till my month starts to squabble.
My deadly bites not from fang's poison
But from harmful words spewing treason
I have amnesia for good but not for harm
Swear words mode ring the loudest alarm.
Drunken youth excused by the age of consent
What is my excuse for an old man spent?
Next morning when I face the mirror of blame
Oh I wish I could remember last night's shame.
Shame on me for my knowing not to drink
Lame excuses I find to binge and shrink
Responsibilities bind small circle of my feet
I set the bar low for my household soul's defeat.
Lame excuse to drink for my cholesterol's sake
Wine red or white in excess cause my headache
No confession absolves my adult behaviour
No pity for me from heaven's saviour.
Thirst, thirst more thirst like the runs
Excuses: more excuses my chosen ones
When shades are down and I am alone
On to binge drinking my selfish throne.
Would compassion end this poem, I wonder?
Forgiveness for sins but not when I plunder
I pawned my soul to the devil for endless drinks
My liver's epitaph framed in hell's burning inks.
Copyright Leaking Pen 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Day I Wore A Swear Word by Leaking Pen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- रंजानाय फैगौ, Ronjoy Brahma
Poem of the Day
- The Ifs Of My Life, Trevor Toews
- Scratch, Trevor Toews
- The Ways, Gholamreza Zarban
- To Neilburg, Trevor Toews
- The New Norm, Michelle Dragonfly
- Context, Trevor Toews
- Love Stoned, Electric Lady
- The Guardian, Trevor Toews
- 'I Love You, I Love You.', Michelle Dragonfly
- Screams In The Dark, Michelle Dragonfly