The Day I Wore A Swear Word
Who funk it that this day will come
Cockroaches invade my desolate slum
Rats and snakes eve's scary creatures
Swear words drunken man best features.
Holly molly my venture into angry word's dare
Public domain restrain me from spilling my swear
But when at home at night on the bottle
I drink and drink till my month starts to squabble.
My deadly bites not from fang's poison
But from harmful words spewing treason
I have amnesia for good but not for harm
Swear words mode ring the loudest alarm.
Drunken youth excused by the age of consent
What is my excuse for an old man spent?
Next morning when I face the mirror of blame
Oh I wish I could remember last night's shame.
Shame on me for my knowing not to drink
Lame excuses I find to binge and shrink
Responsibilities bind small circle of my feet
I set the bar low for my household soul's defeat.
Lame excuse to drink for my cholesterol's sake
Wine red or white in excess cause my headache
No confession absolves my adult behaviour
No pity for me from heaven's saviour.
Thirst, thirst more thirst like the runs
Excuses: more excuses my chosen ones
When shades are down and I am alone
On to binge drinking my selfish throne.
Would compassion end this poem, I wonder?
Forgiveness for sins but not when I plunder
I pawned my soul to the devil for endless drinks
My liver's epitaph framed in hell's burning inks.
Copyright Leaking Pen 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Day I Wore A Swear Word by Leaking Pen )
(c. 1343 – 25 October 1400)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(30th November 1991)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Return of The Romantic, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Longest Night, Nassy Fesharaki
- The Tiger, William Blake
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Borne 'pon th' Gaelic Winds o'er Kellenw.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Life of Love, Moriah Schutt
- SONNET IV, Sir Toby Moses
- Love is Complicated, Moriah Schutt
- Let Me Be With My Conscience, Abdulrazak Aralimatti
- That you are beautiful, Gert Strydom
- Morning, Gert Strydom
- Niagara's Yulia, Nassy Fesharaki
- SONNET III, Sir Toby Moses
- during eve of next moment..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi