Ofentse Mercy Hajane
The Death Of Lilly
Sad your face looks.
Shame pours out from your eyes.
Discarded like rotten food.
She stood slimly.
Bones you would've mistaken her for.
All the beauty she had,
The fat that made her human,
Drained in misery.
Hate became a compulsory feeling for herself.
She herself became damned while walking.
Formed words of suicide,
Molded in her mind.
And praised as the only answer.
To end the drooling monsters she called life.
It drooled over her misery.
Over the filth of her life.
Paper and pen her only friends,
But tonight they too have deserted her,
Left her blind.
Left her in the dark,
No friends she could attract.
Not even fairies would jump over her with joy,
For she was a dark soul.
But yet fearsome.
Pain went spreading out from her every vain.
Setting up a powerful bomb of distraction.
Food became tasteless over her tongue.
Pain became the only alias she could bare over her face.
A mask of dim days.
She would look down from the 23rd floor window.
How the ground seem nearer.
The grass on it seems fluffy and spongy.
The trees lined up with rope thick vines.
The little voice in her mind screamed.
Not a scream of pain.
But an invitation.
'Jump to us my sister'
It would preach.
Yes indeed down below the building all looks heavenly beautiful.
The pains of her damned life kept stabbing her from backing to the office door.
All of them screaming,
Her name praised down below.
Her name disputed from up here.
She opened the window.
The screams grew louder.
There she stood looking from between her feet.
'One leap to paradise' the voices would cry out.
Tears running out her eyes.
Eyes shut hard.
Then it all went silent and dark.
She disappeared from our world.
But her body remained broken from the street.
She was death in our kindly form.
By: Ofentse M Hajane
Ofentse Mercy Hajane's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Death Of Lilly by Ofentse Mercy Hajane )
- SHADES OF LOVE, sherif monem
- A Shoulder to Weep, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Help me I am here, Dustin Hardin
- Into your kingdom, hasmukh amathalal
- High rise, hasmukh amathalal
- Before Death, Ajaeyy Raaj
- the toothless Tiger Dynasties, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- The Spray, Akhtar Jawad
- Think and breathe, hasmukh amathalal
- Love for care, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(22 March 1941 -)