do not cry my sweet child,
for i am not worth it.
do not sit and think of us
and the times we had.
you will have many more.
although the dark clouds of unhappiness gather,
the sun will break through,
you will find happiness with another.
do not worry for me,
for i have been here many times before.
i am battle hardened
and have the scars on my soul.
you see i do not need love to exist,
it is just an emotion.
i have not felt for many a year.
i search for it
as an alchemist searches for gold,
but i fear it.
for it clouds the mind
and turns men into fools.
i am not bitter.
i just dont feel how you feel.
i never look back only forwards.
spring and autumn,
the only seasons in my year.
so forgive me if i have led you on,
for it becomes a tool of my trade.
you see i am a drifter.
like a leaf in the autumn winds,
settling wherever the wind takes me.
maybe ill die drifting,
or maybe ill settle.
that is my choice.
so farewell my sweet child,
as i leave you behind.
a voice inside calls,
i know not from where,
i guess ill know when i arrive.
christopher murphy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Drifter by christopher murphy )
- Big Cat Nap - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- What's the half truth of half world, Aftab Alam
- A Polar Star to Show Your Way, Jayatissa Liyanage
- Walking Is a Way of Life, Frank Avon
- Sirpent, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- And then there were none, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- The Upstairs Witch, David Lewis Paget
- Breeze of love, SALINI NAIR
- Mt. Eden, Frank Avon
- I am in love with you, ambitious blessing
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- 1914 V: The Soldier, Rupert Brooke
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Learn to Live, Roopa Menon
- Not Waving but Drowning, Stevie Smith
- Alone, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)