do not cry my sweet child,
for i am not worth it.
do not sit and think of us
and the times we had.
you will have many more.
although the dark clouds of unhappiness gather,
the sun will break through,
you will find happiness with another.
do not worry for me,
for i have been here many times before.
i am battle hardened
and have the scars on my soul.
you see i do not need love to exist,
it is just an emotion.
i have not felt for many a year.
i search for it
as an alchemist searches for gold,
but i fear it.
for it clouds the mind
and turns men into fools.
i am not bitter.
i just dont feel how you feel.
i never look back only forwards.
spring and autumn,
the only seasons in my year.
so forgive me if i have led you on,
for it becomes a tool of my trade.
you see i am a drifter.
like a leaf in the autumn winds,
settling wherever the wind takes me.
maybe ill die drifting,
or maybe ill settle.
that is my choice.
so farewell my sweet child,
as i leave you behind.
a voice inside calls,
i know not from where,
i guess ill know when i arrive.
christopher murphy's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Drifter by christopher murphy )
- Coming Home, Randy McClave
- what is this? i don't even..., Mandolyn ...
- Today is but tomorrow..., David Lessard
- Sa hagupit ni Yolanda, nagkabuhol-buhol, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- At Nights, Madrason writer
- Trajectorya ng masuyong hampas-lupa, Sonny San Juan, Jr.
- falling down a well, well, you pushed me, Mandolyn ...
- Indeed, george albot
- Poets, Do You Agree?, Sandra Feldman
- broad boy souffle, derrick foster
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
- One Art, Elizabeth Bishop
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)