Wild Bill Balding
The Ethical Illusion
What must you do to get it right?
Love God & love your neighbour. That's all.
No, I will not give you a rule that tells you what to do.
Have you forgotten I spent so much time opposing those who lived by rules,
and standing with those who were condemned by them?
that woman caught in adultery, nearly stoned by
those just as guilty of breaking their Law;
the woman who was bleeding, and the lepers,
seen as mere filth spreading contamination;
Zacchaeus, the collaborator - good job he found me
before the Resistance found him!
You ask for rules, for rigid unchanging absolutes
to anchor you in safety, rules which will end up
chaining you in dungeons of self-righteousness or despair...
No. I am the way, not the rulebook.
I am the Living One, not a fossil.
I am a threat to the categories of 'in' and 'out',
of 'clean' and 'unclean', of 'righteous' and 'sinner':
the Spirit blows like the wind,
scattering your neat piles of leaves over the garden,
rolling the lid of your dustbin down the street,
making lifeless lines of laundry dance for joy.
Yes, I told the rich man what to do.
He had to give up what held him back:
for him it was money, for you it's...
are you ready to hear?
Those who ask will receive.
Those who look will find, and be found.
And I will never leave them.
Wild Bill Balding's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ethical Illusion by Wild Bill Balding )
- How To Tie The Knot, Foster Teegarden
- hurry husband, shush my alliteration, Mandolyn ...
- Sharp Is The Bite, Donald R Charon
- Erato my Muse of love poetry. (Part 2), Erato
- Headache, Foster Teegarden
- Autumn Season, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- mommy, Josephine Taylor
- Friendly Union, Tirupathi Chandrupatla
- Your Guardian Angel, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Green Iris, Foster Teegarden
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)