The Eve of My Death
The eve of my death, a baby was born, and this kept me alive.
The eve of my death, a baby took her first stumbling steps, and this kept me
The eve of my death, a school bus filled with laughing children drove away,
and this kept me alive.
The eve of my death, I looked out my window to see my child be swept
away to prom, and this kept me alive.
The eve of my death, my baby, my child reached out her hand to accept her
diploma, she is not a baby or a child any more, and this kept me alive.
The eve of my death, I walked with my daughter down the isle, and this kept
The eve of my death, I held my new born grandson in my arms, and this kept
The day of my death, I feel my grandson's tears hit me like a cool spring rain,
I see his father behind a podium an inch away from tears, I feel the
flowers on the casket that holds the only thing that keeps me alive.
Stephen Howard's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Eve of My Death by Stephen Howard )
- Oziyon Le Dawn living in the sun, Oziyon LeDawn
- Mind Over Matter, Patrick van der Loos
- you're my hard liquor, but soft, Mandolyn ...
- Tears of Heart, Rohit Sapra
- The Value Has To Be, Rohit Sapra
- My Heart Aches So Much, Rohit Sapra
- Feather (haiku), hap rochelle
- i'm a french braid you unravel, Mandolyn ...
- Robin Williams Tribute, Suzae Chevalier
- ROBIN WILLIAMS IS A LIGHTWORKER, Suzae Chevalier
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- At Last She Comes, Robert Louis Stevenson
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)