The eye of the needle
All the needles sitting to attention in the packet
Waiting for you to pick one with the biggest eye
Their shiny coat glistens in the bright day,
Their fine lines waiting to be caressed.
Brightly coloured cotton reels of differing sizes
In the sewing box like a multi coloured painters
Palette. A rainbow of colours both big and small
Roll around the box.
You select one reel and run your fingers through
The packet of needles, looking for the right one.
The one that you can see that you can thread
The cotton through – but Arrghh – C’est impossible.
Needle in one hand, cotton in the other, you spend
Ten minutes squinting at the eye of the needle
Trying to thread the cotton. The cotton brushes
Over the eye but alas, it passes along side.
Life can be a bit like threading cotton through the
Eye of a needle. You look at a problem yet the eyes
Deceive and you lose the thread. Only patience prevails
In this uncertain world. Patience and perseverance.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The eye of the needle by David Wood )
- TWILIGHT, Meggie Gultiano
- Morning prayers., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Favorite Quote, Nautica Moxley
- Building Bricks, Jude Ogunade
- A Hydro Odyssey, Patrick Czyz
- Salvation, Earth And Sadness, Tony Adah
- Perspective, Patrick Czyz
- flesh to flesh, jaquesha webb
- Make it a new day., Patrick Czyz
- A Deadly Romance, Akhtar Jawad
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)