Christian Tobechukwu Okafor
The Face Behind The Mask
It’s hidden; it is contorted.
Its blown beauty but purported
To be its lady’s sole comfort.
But lo, she in it finds no fort.
So, what does she then find in it?
Oh, no! It shows only a bit
Of that which lies behind the guise
Which unveiled, will floor ne’er the wise.
Then, come another to gaze on:
It shines like the star of the morn;
The smile beams all over the face
Halting every step in its daze.
But no, it’s only a façade
Dazzling and dying off the face
Housing the shine and the beaming
While beneath, it is but seething.
Oh, what a face behind the mask!
Who can ever take on the task
Unmasking the truth and the lie
While the face is yet to say bye.
Christian Tobechukwu Okafor's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Face Behind The Mask by Christian Tobechukwu Okafor )
- A Symbol Of Freedom, Joseph T. Renaldi
- Keeping Done A Decadence, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Writing Into Existence, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Reap & Sow, Angela K Brown
- Street Culture, Angela K Brown
- James Brown, Angela K Brown
- Spell, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- All of Me, Angela K Brown
- White water-lily, Mark Heathcote
- Dance With Me, Alesia Leach
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)