** The Fading Sky
Dark clouds gather as the sun goes down.
Street lights illuminate the scene.
Trees set dark against the fading sky,
Eerie now, where daylight has been.
But the hours that travel through the night,
awaken in the morning light.
Branches whisper in a gentle way,
owls hoot, watching across the land.
Hunting their prey with tension so high,
for supper now is close at hand.
A breeze caresses the ground and weaves,
in and out among the dead leaves.
A vole who does not mind the dense dark,
will travel fast between the trees.
Inquisitive ones like mice and shrews,
cannot live their short lives at ease,
for there is always danger around,
so they’re alert to any sound.
It’s frightening if you walk here alone,
Within this unwelcoming place.
Spooky is the word that I would use,
My heart is beginning to race.
I must escape, if not I will scream,
what I’d give for a bright sunbeam.
Why is the pitch black so disturbing.
Giving one the shiver and shakes.
Ghosts and ghouls could be right behind you,
Oh, how ones whole body just quakes.
Come on daylight raise up your big sun,
So we can wake when night is done.
Ernestine Northover's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (** The Fading Sky by Ernestine Northover )
- Zero Turkey Wing, Havilah
- Reading and Writing, umaprosad das
- The Afternoon, Leong Ming Loong
- Aligarh Muslim University & Raja Mahendr.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Storm Warning, ESPN CHICK
- A Kiss To Otis Redding, Electric Lady
- So Sensitive In My Heart, Rohit Sapra
- You own every part of me, Afrodita Alkline
- You (One Day I'll Forget You), ESPN CHICK
- Advice can have minus point., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Oh, the places you'll go!, Adens Kamwi
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(c. 600 BCE)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(22 August 1893 - 7 June 1967)