His eyes peered down the old rusted barbwire fence,
His look became longing.
As if in defense, his dry lips parted.
And he began to say,
As with this fence his hands
Began to play
"To some this is a barrier to me
Its strands of life
Each post lined up to suffice
So each strand of wire stretched
Straight and true
Never guarateenin' that somethin' won't
Get through you see those barbs
They're for defense
Like life itself we all have a fence."
Then slowly removing his hands
From the wire
He pointed out a post that
Had caught on fire
Proof that not everything respects this
Man mad barrier as we see so much in life.
That we are rejected "But the post still stands
And so must we, still be tall, proud and free."
The places it had been mended were many, "But the fence still stands."
He cleared his throat, "Because it never was neglected and fixed when it broke."
"Nurtured by hands that cared
Like the hands of GOD the gift of life he shared.
So like the fence if we take heed and fix it when in need it shall go on."
But not forever because like life
It gets too old
The mended places no longer hold,
But in its' place a new one will be built.
He then turned to the mountains
His face was worn and just
Like life a new child will be born.
Kendra Tyler's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Fence by Kendra Tyler )
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Bottle And Friend, Robert Burns
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- To A Mouse, Robert Burns
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- De ja vu, Nicola Kelly
- Watch NFL Pro Bowl 2015: Team Irvin vs [.., Noah Hariss
- Suitcase full of dreams, Nicola Kelly
- No ordinary day, Nicola Kelly
- There was a middle aged woman, Nicola Kelly
- Tears of fears, Nicola Kelly
- Lady Luck, Nicola Kelly
- Nicky wasn't particularly picky, Nicola Kelly
- An ignoramus when it came to poetry, Nicola Kelly
- Where's my mini me, Nicola Kelly