The First Rule....
Middle School and High
students for a couple of years. One of the things
that stands out most to
me is that
I would continually allude
to the popular movies of my youth
that contributed to making me the type
of person I was at the time.
Mostly Fight Club
sometimes The Matrix or
Star Wars. You
the shit everyone's seen
and quoted from everyday for years.
'First rule of fight club'
and all that banal
I thought the kids would laugh. Instead
they all just looked at me
as if I had started suddenly
to read from my 1996 Toyota
4runner owner's manual.
It wasn't so much a series of faces
displaying shock or
Merely sheer disinterest.
'Fight Club? ' I'd ask, even though it was an R-rated
movie released in 1999
and I was speaking to a room
full of 13-year-old children
who were 5 years old in 1999. 'Anyone
seen Fight Club? '
The two or three who were paying attention
slightly shook their heads.
One day, probably
the last day of the semester
a party day
or 'free day'
the kids were allowed to bring food
and we the teachers would show movies.
I brought in the R-rated Fight Club
(the school administrators
either didn't know I brought it or weren't hip enough to know
what exactly was depicted in the movie
[violence, bloodshed, graphic sex, cursing])
and then all of the kids were like,
I think they enjoyed the movie.
Manny Furious's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The First Rule.... by Manny Furious )
- The Ocean's Gates, Brandt Nightingale
- Tribute to the King, Tania Montgomery
- Abyss, Donald R Charon
- Ode to the Busker, Tania Montgomery
- I have forgotten who I am, gajanan mishra
- Love is a liquid ~~~ vs.56, Mr. Nobody Nothing
- HE IS A MAN, Donald R Charon
- Dead Stone, ramesh rai
- Our Lives, Sandra Feldman
- All Mine, For Me, Donald R Charon
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- To Someone Special On PoemHunter, Electric Lady
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, Francis William Bourdillon
- Cleanliness and Happiness, chandra thiagarajan
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Ono no Komachi
(c. 825—c. 900))
Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803 - 1882)