And it all slowly peels away
All the childhood laughter, scolding parent voices,
The ebullient fresh world we saw through young eyes
Is being slowly swept away, as irretrievably as
Waters evaporating and receding into the sea of oblivion
Leaving only a dry grey rock
That greets my tired sore feet each day.
What still remains has lost its vitality
A bitter cold fog always follows me.
Always deceptive, it tries to be invisible
But some days and nights it manages to blur everything
Until my head will just burst from its relentless gravity!
And it only continues its slow descending cruelty
No sooner are you here to comfort me, then you are leaving
Each moment of joy soon turned into one of pain.
It is only the fog doing its swallowing -
Even your back turned resolutely towards me now -
Is being swallowed by the merciless fog
That I breathe in day and night, no matter what!
Yes I savour the dew-moistened morning flower
The sacred bloom of my timeless children
And the great vigour of a wondrous new dawn,
However the fog is ever watchful and listening, biding its time
Not even the exuberant-soul cries of pure sweetness will deter it!
No sooner than I bask in the irradiating shine of your presence
And assume it is a never-ending rock of joy,
Than the time has arrived of your imminent departure!
The moment when the heart reveals it has never stopped suffering
Is as timeless as the fog of time, the blur
From which all endless cycles emanate.
Briony Nicholls's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Fog by Briony Nicholls )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Emmanuel George Cefai
(12th March 1955)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Russell Edson
(22 March 1941 -)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Taking Off Emily Dickinson's Clothes, Billy Collins
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Dear Dad ..... [a PARODY; HUMOR; SHORT; .., Bri Edwards
- Just Sex..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It's Not About Science, Just Satellites..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Woman And Time..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Firmament, Margaret Ann Newcomb
- Petits morceaux, Lubinda Lubinda
- For Edgar Allan Poe With All Gratitude..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- It Takes Tears to..., Rodney R. Cooper
- It Takes Tears, Rodney R. Cooper
- My life, Mario,Lucien,Rene Odekerken