The Frogs Went To War (a poem for children)
There’s fighting in the duck pond,
the frogs have gone to war!
They’re punching toads and kicking newts,
they’re out to settle an old score.
“These lilly pads are ours! ”
Screams a gigantic froggy brute.
Then he hops into the reed bed,
then starts beating up a newt.
“Stop this, it is madness! ”
Shout the old grey geese.
But the frogs just ignore them,
they’re waging war, not peace.
They’re hopping past the bulrush,
they have just slapped mother swan.
Their battle cry is “Ribbit! ”
And still they’re marching on!
“Enough! ” Shouts the heron,
“This really has to stop! ”
He bares his beak, his frog eating beak,
then not one frog dares hop.
The heron has them fleeing,
the frogs hop off in retreat.
They’re apologising frantically,
knowing they’re what heron likes to eat!
Jojoba Mansell's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Frogs Went To War (a poem for children) by Jojoba Mansell )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- Raining Love, Sandra Feldman
- I Still Read, An Apology For Someone Pro.., Michael McParland
- Not Missed, Michael McParland
- Trigger Happy, Alem Hailu Gabre Kristos
- I Am Nobody, Michael McParland
- Goodbye, Michael McParland
- Farewell, Michael McParland
- Falling, Michael McParland
- The Poet's License, Tony Adah
- A Journey That Ended In Laughs, Michael McParland