The gentle rain
I went to bed seeking relief from my pain
There in slumber I remained till day break
Slowly awake listening to the fall of spring rain,
Gently pouring down from the pottery slate.
Night had gone away and the usual light was late
Held back in atmosphere by the gently falling rain
Then suddenly the showers open heaven's gate,
And parted the clouds that were in silent restrain.
The gentle falling rain came with superior fame,
Whose vapor became stronger and enlightening?
When the rain came bringing fine leads of grain,
Each drop that stays weighs a ton of blessing.
When rain washes the dust from the tree leaves
It prepares for the sun to polish in gold and green,
And make fields stand out with royal host of flowers
Dress in natures halo as saintly minds that are clean.
We can learn from the rain when all earth is stain,
And needs a wash, there is no restrain or sacrifice
That should stop the process needed for cleansing
And make us clean again for all heaven to rejoice.
Gerry Legister's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The gentle rain by Gerry Legister )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- January’s Sad Refrain, Teresa Dearing
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- A Man Of Different Charectarestics, Musa Ndhlovu
- Ever Hike in Hope, Pintu Mahakul
- The Past, Eugene Latumbo
- Lovely Hand, Pintu Mahakul
- There you are, Cee Bea
- Memories:, Gaurav Pandey
- Loneliness, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Christmas Tree, Zoila T. Flores
- I Did Not Ask Him, But Said He, I Am A M.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- An Umbrella, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan