The Gippsland Hills Are Greener
The Powlett river downland go whispering towards the sea
And butcherbird is piping on sunlit wattle tree
And silver gulls are calling along the Gippsland shore
I love you my dear Country each day i love you more.
The English Land is greener some have been known to say
And English birds sing sweetly in leafy woods of may
But Gippsland hills are greener the greenest i have seen
And Aussie bird sing sweetly where woods are evergreen.
I've been to Indonesia and I've visited Japan
And I've had cake and coffee with wealthy Asian man
With wealthy men of London i have been out to tea
But bold men of Australia appeal far more to me.
I work for London company for influential co
And all my friends are wealthy and wealthy men i know
I once was middle class girl from Korumburra Town
And dad worked for demolition co knocking old buildings down
The English fields are greener the English proudly say
But I've lived in a greener Land thousands of miles away
Where Powlett river downland goes whispering towards the sea
And butcherbird is piping on sunlit wattle tree.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Gippsland Hills Are Greener by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- How time flies, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Precipice, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- The Striped Goodness Of The Candy Cane C.., mary douglas
- Where my soul resides like a flightless .., Mark Heathcote
- The Poets Behold From Heaven Their Words.., mary douglas
- The New Life: Fourth Stage for Marie, Daniel Brick
- LOVING, bill costley
- A Prayer For The Unsuspecting, mary douglas
- Another Shop On The Street With Mary Pop.., mary douglas
- Is All That Matters Then, Rohit Sapra