Lenin Meitei Thingujam
All these years,
I could never unlock your riddles-
Simple words that weigh volumes.
I open them now and read it by a dawning light.
Putting pen to paper,
I redraw the memories I have,
Of those bed-time stories,
Where you painted the rainbow into my head.
That day I ran all the way from school,
Bringing home a shiny circle,
Breathless to make you proud.
But all you ever asked was for a bigger one,
And I blamed you behind your back.
I regret it dad, I do,
When the pride resonates in your voice now,
Buried in a time capsule.
Ken, Ben and all the others
Were frolicking in the mud,
When I was indoors with you.
Sitting by the tickity-tock,
Wisdom raining down like fortune cookies,
I was drenched, wet to the bone.
Shaking and shivering
But my upper lip, stiffened still.
I stand upright today,
Only because I got your spine.
Like a little Newton
I troubled you about the birds and bees.
Annie, whose heart I broke,
She was so fond of you.
She saw in you the man I need to be
I missed you on those coffee nights,
When you were away making a living for us.
Blinkered in blindness,
I saw coldness in calmness.
I failed to hear your actions dripping love.
I will do everything.
I will be Michael Corleone.
Just tend to the garden you so love.
The flowers chirp for your tender care.
Kuttu barks for you to train his pups.
Let me be the cane during your evening strolls.
I will hang grandpa`s portrait on the wall.
Let me make a little bunny for you to spoil.
But please please don`t leave me dad,
Before I can say, “I love you too”.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The God-Father by Lenin Meitei Thingujam )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
RoseAnn V. Shawiak
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Don't Go Far Off, Pablo Neruda
- Three Wise Men, Bill Simmons
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Save Them, BARBARA ALVARADO
- Full recitation, hasmukh amathalal
- Dread, Leong Ming Loong
- Stars, 1000 Miles
- Drink, Smoke, Pray & Pop Pills., Tom Zart
- His Birthday, Neela Nath
- Last Night, Swrji Basumatary
- A proposal to wake up, none .....
- Dreams are All That Remain, Rohit Sapra
- Flowers By The Roadside, Maurice Rowlands