Louisa Stuart Costello
'Tis eve, the sun is sinking in the lake—
The lake, all glorious with his golden beams,
Whose calm clear breast reflects the mountains back
That raise their huge heads to the varied clouds.
The trees and flowers that grow along its banks
Smile in the lucid mirror. Every bough
Is vocal with the song of glittering birds,
Whose plumes are borrow'd from the rainbow's hues;
No other sound disturbs the silent air,
Although a prostrate nation is around,
Watching the last rays of the setting sun
In solemn and in graceful adoration.
The purple clouds grow deeper, deeper still,
Till the resplendent orb is seen no more;
But where he sunk upon the bright lake's margin
Appear two forms, majestic and erect,
Cloth'd in rich garments, hand in hand.
Onward they come across the yielding waters,
That give them passage!
Now they reach the shore!
While with glad shouts the people rend the skies—
"All hail, ye mighty Children of the Sun!"
Louisa Stuart Costello's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Inca by Louisa Stuart Costello )
- The truth is, Brian Kilpatrick
- In our minds, Brian Kilpatrick
- Walls, arshad arshad
- / Ek Burkhawalli She Pyar-mohabbat/ Ek P.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Boond Boond Boond Barse Chain, Yashvardhan Goel
- O My God, Meri Ek Bhi Nahin, Uski Tin-Ti.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Fabus Indulcet Fames, michael walkerjohn
- One Not, But Three Bibis, Veiled Wives, .., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Alive In S'November To Remember - The Ta.., Joe Muschaweck
- Each Day With You KP, Michael McParland
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Marriage(Divine Relation), binod bastola
- YOUR SADNESS DRAWS A SAD PICTURE, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)