Julia Caroline (Ripley) Dorr
When you lay before me dead,
In such pallid rest,
On those passive lips of thine
Not one kiss I pressed!
Did you wonder-looking down
From some higher sphere-
Knowing how we two had loved
Many and many a year?
Did you think me strange and cold
When I did not touch,
Even with reverent finger-tips,
What I had loved so much?
Ah! when last you kissed me, dear,
Know you what you said?
'Take this last kiss, my beloved,
Soon shall I be dead!
'Keep it for a solemn sign
Through our love's long night,
Till you give it back again
On some morning bright.'
So I gave you no caress;
But, remembering this,
Warm upon my lips I keep
Your last living kiss!
Julia Caroline (Ripley) Dorr's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Kiss by Julia Caroline (Ripley) Dorr )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 February 1970-)
(27 December 1797 – 15 February 1869)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Carpe Diem, Naveed Khalid
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Tumhe main Peyar Nehi de, Kumar Vishwas
- Jiske Dhun Par Duniya Nache, Kumar Vishwas
- Main To Jhonka Hu Hava Ka Ura Le Jaunga, Kumar Vishwas
Poem of the Day
- The PH Forum Ru-Ku Trifecta..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- You Never Know, Ifthekar Ifthi
- The Real Fruit, Nash Thomas
- Promise And Possibility, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Poem N10, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N9, Kristian Djordjanov
- Misunderstood, LLDr. Gyd
- Poem N8, Kristian Djordjanov
- Poem N7, Kristian Djordjanov
- Twilight of Love, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan