Edna St. Vincent Millay
The Leaf And The Tree
When will you learn, myself, to be
a dying leaf on a living tree?
Budding, swelling, growing strong,
Wearing green, but not for long,
Drawing sustenance from air,
That other leaves, and you not there,
May bud, and at the autumn's call
Wearing russet, ready to fall?
Has not this trunk a deed to do
Unguessed by small and tremulous you?
Shall not these branches in the end
To wisdom and the truth ascend?
And the great lightning plunging by
Look sidewise with a golden eye
To glimpse a tree so tall and proud
It sheds its leaves upon a cloud?
Here, I think, is the heart's grief:
The tree, no mightier than the leaf,
Makes firm its root and spreads it crown
And stands; but in the end comes down.
That airy top no boy could climb
Is trodden in a little time
By cattle on their way to drink.
The fluttering thoughts a leaf can think,
That hears the wind and waits its turn,
Have taught it all a tree can learn.
Time can make soft that iron wood.
The tallest trunk that ever stood,
In time, without a dream to keep,
Crawls in beside the root to sleep.
Edna St. Vincent Millay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Leaf And The Tree by Edna St. Vincent Millay )
- Living, Gillian Commerford
- सानसे, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Square, Frank Avon
- Shelling Peas on Boulders Beach [for my .., Gillian Commerford
- हार्थखिया मिनिदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- just orientation..many can be straighten.., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- Demented Souls (A re-submission), Valsa George
- King One - Lincoln Park Zoo, Ima Ryma
- दिनैनि सानरेबाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- The Storm Within, Erika Wingo
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Hunger, Jayanta Mahapatra
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Conclusion, Sir Walter Raleigh
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(30 October 1885 – 1 November 1972)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)