The Lovesick Fool!
While poets come and poets go
And faithless lovers, too,
There yet abides this truth I know,
This poet's heart loves you...
And if I could seek one blessing
To fit into that scheme,
Then it's you, I'm now confessing,
To be that wish, that dream...
While hope exists, today at least,
What use unless it grows,
So that by faith it has increased,
To blossom like the rose?
Yet that, my love's just yours to grant,
Not mine and mine alone,
Because this lovesick fool still can't
Convince you on my own...
Like others, who once loved before,
I risk all things on love
And though I strive to know for sure,
I'll give you space enough...
Not press advantage borne of wiles,
Nor gifts your heart to buy...
Yet know this, princess, full of smiles,
I'll love you till I die...
And if that isn't your desire,
Then marry someone else,
In finery and best attire,
Blessed by those wedding bells...
But as for me, I'll never wed,
Because this love's so true,
Without your love, I'll stay instead,
This lovesick fool for you...
Denis Martindale, copyright, November 2013.
Denis Martindale's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Lovesick Fool! by Denis Martindale )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- A Prisoner, John Ugolo Umah
- Mystery Well, John Ugolo Umah
- Mother Nature's Sex Crime, A.j. Binash
- Cinderella. Cendrillon., mary douglas
- The Silent Rebel (baby!), Fie KroC
- The Book Tree Forest, mary douglas
- My Grandfather in Broadmoor, Little Rock.., mary douglas
- We are ALL Broken, with a Capital F, Monk E. Biz
- 'The Fallen Angel', Wolfie Scott
- Impressions of Garcia-Lorca on the Piano.., mary douglas