Palas Kumar Ray
The Man Who Did Not Marry Again
The old man, my friend
comes up with new idea....
He talks to me about his daughters
who are now married and duty bound
to their own circumstances.
He thinks of having a son-in-law
for the third whom we know
he adopted under different circumstances
perhaps after passing away of his wife-
We are friend almost since then.
I don't remember him ever having a talk
He took no chance of risking his daughters
Maybe I admired his decision
from the distance of age
truly having no idea exactly how it was
to live without a woman.
Now it appears like a great sacrifice
what he did for his daughters.
Sixty plus plus if not time to die
in our circumstances
not even time to think of remarriage.
But I try to feel the depth of his words
when he speaks to me the story of his time.
'You need someone besides.
Someone to talk.
Someone to take care of.......'
There's a few
we must acknowledge
brave people around
who could search out
who comes to shoulder your old age troubles
We did not appreciate their action
now we are little confused.
Maybe I spoke about the risk
about safety of his peace
in having a all new beginning at this age.
Likely we had
a kind of causal talks
but if it ever comes true
leaving all arguments aside
maybe I'll have to appreciate
his courage again.
© Palas Kumar Ray.All rights reserved.
Palas Kumar Ray's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Man Who Did Not Marry Again by Palas Kumar Ray )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- My Big Brother, Edgar Albert Guest
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Communist Goons, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Trinmul Congress Party's Gift Is The Fre.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Dark Chapter, Abdullah alHemaidy
- The Sun Sings in You, Patti Masterman
- Desolate Fox, Prasad Natarajan
- Real Poverty, Abdullah alHemaidy
- A Dream In My Soul, Spiritwind Wood
- Peace, Leonard Champlin
- A Spirit Forever Free, Spiritwind Wood
- Mamas Counsel, Adeosun Olamide