The Ocean Bells
It is before dawn
the sun is still in bed
at the shore end
the sky lightens up
and the sun pops out again.
The seagull looks docile
water remains placid
the girl stands there,
her curly brown hair
in a cool ocean breeze.
It is skin dip hot
the noon wears no cap
after a glass of ale
I take a fizzy nap.
Water is warm now
sand turns white to grey
that seagull remains there
waiting for his prey.
Evening falls slow
the sun starts packing down
a lonely dolphin, off shore,
flaps back to her town.
the sky looks foamy
light changes its hue
a series of blurred visions,
like Monet’s Impressions
hover on soft blue.
The night hops
it's all deep dark
only a lighthouse blinks
at a distant far.
I look up to heaven
I want to see her face
the ocean bells,
a tiny magic spell
shuts my eyes close
I lay down on St.Pete bay
my memory fades away
and the ocean allures me again.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
I visited St.Petersburg, FL during the New Year eve time. I loved that place, its beach, its downtown and its surreal ambience. I wrote a poem on St. Pete beach to show my adulation. I am posting it here. I hope you guys would like it.
Comments about this poem (The Ocean Bells by Nirode Ray )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1886 - 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
Poem of the Day
- Much more powerful, gajanan mishra
- Lahoo, Lahoo Ek Dastaan, Yasmeen Khan
- Thoughts While Waiting in the ER, Donal Mahoney
- Graduate school first semester: so here .., Cheryl Savageau
- Toll of human safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I am not ready to say I am unfortunate, gajanan mishra
- Yesterday's Snow, Marilyn Lott
- Ego, Denise Duhamel
- Life and Heaven, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Rain Song, Khaled Mattawa