The Odyssey Of Pastor Harold Schnabel
Listen up! It's Deacon Simon here,
Reporting on Pastor Harold Schnabel,
The minister we long ago defrocked.
Remember how he went to Holland
Years ago. Hard to believe but
He's coming back a millionaire
Who made his money
Running a bordello for midgets
With Peyronie's Disease
In downtown Amsterdam.
He hired his staff carefully,
Favoring double-jointed women who
Understand the geometry of angles,
Isosceles and otherwise.
He's coming back to take advantage
Of an American Renaissance
In porkpie hats. He says men
Will wear them once again
This summer and possibly forever.
It will be the same porkpie hat
Made famous by Buster Keaton,
The beloved comedian,
Who for years was chief custodian
In Harold's congregation, long before
We deacons finally defrocked him
For simony, calumny,
Feterosexuality and serial fraud.
Anyone who thinks Harold's wrong
About an American Renaissance
In porkpie hats needs to remember
The startling success he's had
Running that bordello for midgets
With Peyronie's Disease.
The staff of ladies he recruited.
Made Harold a millionaire.
We defrocked him for cause but
He's an entrepreneur extraordinaire.
He knows midgets and porkpie hats.
So, please, join me at the airport
Sunday morning after services
So we can make Harold's return
To our beautiful city a boffo event.
He's giving out free porkpie hats
To everyone who comes to greet him.
And big discounts to all midgets
With Peyronie's Disease planning
A trip to Amsterdam this Spring
To admire- what else? - the tulips.
There will never be another Harold.
Let's welcome Pastor Schnabel home.
Donal Mahoney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Odyssey Of Pastor Harold Schnabel by Donal Mahoney )
- Muse & Drudge [just as I am I come], Harryette Mullen
- When Clouds Thunder, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Beauty Supply, Lee Ann Brown
- Suffering the Unattainable, David Dodd Lee
- Nature and Its Simple ways, Rohit Sapra
- Snowy Owl Goddess, Diane Wakoski
- Much Tattooed Sailor Aboard USS New Jersey, Jehanne Dubrow
- The Ruined Church, David Lewis Paget
- Farewell, Damir Lemaic
- Lovely test, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- November, Thomas Hood
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)