The one whose Reproach I Cannot Evade
She sits in her glass garden
and awaits the guests -
The sailor with the blue tangerines
the fish clothed in languages
the dolphin with a revolver in its teeth.
Dusk enters from stage left:
its voice falls like dew on the arbor.
sway in the catalpa tree.
What is it she hopes to catch in her net
of love? Petals? Conch-shells?
The night-moth? She does not speak.
Tonight, I tell her, no one comes;
you wait in vain.
Yet at eight precisely
the moon opens its theatric doors,
an arm rises from the fountain,
the music box, face down
on her tabouret, swells and bursts
its cover - a tinkling flood of
rice moves over the table.
She smiles at me, false believer,
smiles and goes in, leaving
the garden empty and my thighs
half-eaten by the raging twilight.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The one whose Reproach I Cannot Evade by George Hitchcock )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Blow, Blow, Thou Winter Wind, William Shakespeare
- The Shoelace, Charles Bukowski
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- an i like you that way - sweetest thing .., sEaN nOrTh
- Longing, Michael P. McParland
- The Home Here And Hereafter., Bazi alis Subrata Ray
- American As Apple Pie?, carol carter
- The Final Litmus Test, michael walkerjohn
- The ascent of peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- no one's favorite..., veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- आज आंसू बहाओ - Suffering, yashovardhan kulkarni
- I loved you more than enough.., Rene Perera
- The victory of peace and truth., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..