The Pink Briefcase
When I was in Junior High
A term for Middle School in a time gone by
My Mother bought me a briefcase of pink
Although I loved it, I was worried what others would think
It gave the kids a reason to poke fun
Carrying a pink briefcase, I was the only one.
So I’d leave home briefcase in hand then hide it under a tree
Because I did not want the kids to make fun of me.
Someone tore off the handle and made me mad
The ruined briefcase made my Mother sad.
Kids still made fun of me anyway
As I walked to school day after day
I was young and weak then
Teenage life was hard without a friend.
Those days were difficult and long
But they built character and made me strong.
A life’s lesson was taught
By the pink briefcase my Mother bought.
I learned to walk in my own shoes
And live my life as I’d choose.
Many years of time have passed.
Is that our grandson’s girlfriend? My husband asked
I can’t tell, they all look and dress the same
The only thing different about them is their name
I can’t distinguish one girl from another.
Too bad she’d never been given a pink briefcase by her Mother!
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Pink Briefcase by Nancy Chambers )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Syllable Of Meaning, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Touching Rendition, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Dahshatgard, Bano Ali
- Safe Haven, Denis Martindale
- My Dear Father, Monesh Kumar
- But quarrelsome, gajanan mishra
- Period so brief, hasmukh amathalal
- Rapping Christmas, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- On Christmas Evening, John Lars Zwerenz
- MAX, Dog goD 8Hate