Terence George Craddock (Spectral Images and Images Of Light)
The Prophet And The Poet: Teach Synonymous Parallelism
in biblical poetry
in the previous
kind of paraphrase
line two restates
an identical thought
found in line one
Lamech said to his wives,
'Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed a man for wounding me,
a young man for injuring me. ' Genesis 4: 23.
Is not the purpose to remind us
Lamech failed to obey God's laws?
'You shall not murder.' Exodus 20: 13.
'Do not seek revenge or bear
a grudge against one of your people,
but love your neighbor
as yourself. I am the LORD.' Leviticus 19: 18.
'It is mine to avenge; I will repay.
In due time their foot will slip;
their day of disaster is near
and their doom rushes upon them.' Deuteronomy 32: 35.
'O LORD, the God who avenges,
O God who avenges, shine forth.' Psalm 94: 1.
Our Lord God has spoken
God's message here is clear.
avenge not yourselves,
but rather give place unto wrath:
for it is written,
Vengeance is mine;
I will repay,
saith the Lord.' Romans12: 19.
'Wash away all my iniquity
and cleanse me from my sin.
I admit that I am rebellious.
My sin is always in front of me.
For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me. ' Psalm 51: 2-3.
'The LORD says,
'I look deep down
inside human hearts.
I see what is in people's minds.
I reward a man in keeping with his conduct.
I bless him based on what he has done.' Jeremiah 17: 10.
Therefore let it be known
that the Lord our God
teaches through examples
We are taught
through contrasting examples
who will listen learn?
Copyright © Terence George Craddock
Terence George Craddock (Spectral Images and Images Of Light)'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Prophet And The Poet: Teach Synonymous Parallelism by Terence George Craddock (Spectral Images and Images Of Light) )
- Elizabeth my Muse of love poetry., Erato
- I Am Not, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Empty life, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- I Met Tuckerpuppy and Twittermouse, Bruce Larkin
- Longings et. Al., Nalini Jyotsana Chaturvedi
- About Tuckerpuppy, Bruce Larkin
- Submit, Teach, Love, Trust & Forgive., Tom Zart
- Broaden Your Mind, Ronell Warren Alman
- Exaggerating an invisible enemy, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- throwing knives at the sun, Mandolyn ...
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- My Love Is Like To Ice, Edmund Spenser
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)