The boat of the boatman Madhu is moored at the wharf of Rajgunj.
It is uselessly laden with jute, and has been lying there idle
for ever so long.
If he would only lend me his boat, I should man her with a
hundred oars, and hoist sails, five or six or seven.
I should never steer her to stupid markets.
I should sail the seven seas and the thirteen rivers of
But, mother, you won't weep for me in a corner.
I am not going into the forest like Ramachandra to come back
only after fourteen years.
I shall become the prince of the story, and fill my boat with
whatever I like.
I shall take my friend Ashu with me. We shall sail merrily
across the ever seas and the thirteen rivers of fairyland.
We shall set sail in the early morning light.
When at noontide you are bathing at the pond, we shall be in
the land of a strange king.
We shall pass the ford of Tirpurni, and leave behind us the
desert of Tepantar.
When we come back it will be getting dark, and I shall tell
you of all that we have seen.
I shall cross the seven seas and the thirteen rivers of
Rabindranath Tagore's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Sailor by Rabindranath Tagore )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Mitchell Gonzalez
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(22 March 1941 -)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Police Car, Mitchell Gonzalez
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- My Little Bird, Alfred Oyori
- Regret, Damian Murphy
- Helpless reasonings, Howard MacDougall
- The first Flight, michael hagwood
- Fake, RJP Patterson
- Bee Bathes In Bliss, Saiom Shriver
- Merry Christmas, lee fones
- Searching For Convictions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Strong Enough, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Past Woes, Naveed Akram