Robert William Service
"The spirits do not like the light,"
The medium said, and turned the switch;
The little lady on my right
Clutched at my hand with nervous twitch.
(She seemed to be a pretty bitch.)
The moustached women on my left,
With spirits on hr heavy breath,
Lasciviously leaned her heft
On me as one who languisheth.
The sordid room was still as death.
"A shape I see," the medium cried,
"Whose face and name I do not know . . ."
"'Tis Robert service," soft replied
A voice - "I passed a month ago,
And I've come back to let you know.
"The Other Side is gay and bright;
We are so happy there and free,
And Dan McGrew I oft recite,
And follow up with Sam McGee . . .
But now excuse me, I must flee."
The fat dame leaned to get my ear,
(Her breast was soft as feather bed.)
"I love his verses; oh dear, dear,
I didn't know that he was dead."
"No more did I," I sourly said.
The little lady grabbed me hard;
(She looked to me a "yesful" dear.)
Said she: "Don't you adore the Bard?"
Said I: "Before he fades, I fear
I'd like to kick his astral rear."
So then I bravely broke away
From spooks and ectoplasic gauze.
Yet in the brazen light of day
I had to pinch myself because
Really! I wondered if I was.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Seance by Robert William Service )
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Oliver Wendell Holmes
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- And Death Shall Have No Dominion, Dylan Thomas
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Music, Walter de la Mare
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- A Rare Beauty Beheld!, Valsa George
- Why Should We Live........My Friends?, Arindom Borah
- The Wanderer, Victor Kretzie
- Couplets on Life For The Musing Cynicals.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- salvation army, lee fones
- Bulbous red, GRANT FRASER
- Coming future, Luv Artem
- One Christmas Eve From The North...(r), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Cream Dream Catharsis, Joseph Archer
- Public convienences, GRANT FRASER