My mother was a utopian communist
or rather a Marxist, she had only contempt
for the Soviet Union which she called
state capitalism gone mad.
She believed only communism could
bring about democracy where the people
controlled the means of production.
She predicted the globalization would bring
wars, workers against workers,
on slave wages. A world where the rich
got more affluent,
and material success meant everything.
A world where workers believe in their own failure
and deserve to be poor.
And she was right.
We are ruled by corporations and our freedom
have been curtailed, we are consumers
in a world where even art is commerce valued for
its sales potential and not for its beauty.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Seer by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- SYNC 10 WORD, Beryl Dov
- First meeting, Kristopher DeLander
- Hope, Kristopher DeLander
- Silence Is A Beauty To Endure, Monk E. Biz
- Home, Kindred velarde
- Why? Why? Why?, Praghyanjali Pal
- I Cannot At Will Summon The Tone Of Beauty, Shalom Freedman
- O, God, Neela Nath
- The Seed of Greatness, Silas Egbowon
- Metamorphosis, Musfiq us shaleheen