The Singing Exam
A thrill of excitement runs down my spine;
Will I mess up, or will I be fine?
I have never sung a solo before,
And I may not want to any more!
There is now just over two weeks to go:
As each day passes, my anxiety grows.
To overcome my nerves, I just have to try;
I’m really hoping that I won’t feel too shy.
Inside my head, there’s excitement and fear,
As the big day itself draws increasingly near.
When I practise at home, it all goes okay,
But will it be like that on the big day?
It’s not like it’s a matter of life or death;
I need to remember to take a deep breath.
As I stand there alone and sweetly croon,
I just have to hope that I’m not out of tune.
I am really hoping that it all goes well.
I really hope that I can break out my shell.
It’s not like I am answerable to anyone:
At the end of the day, it is just for fun.
My two chosen songs, I so want to nail.
I’d be so disappointed, if I go and fail.
If, by some miracle, I do get a pass,
Then maybe this exam won’t be my last.
Angela Wybrow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Singing Exam by Angela Wybrow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Naveed Khalid
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Sir Walter Scott
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(1 January 1903 - 13 March 1976)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
Poem of the Day
- The unknown face, vinit ghosh
- Kiss Me Bye, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Lust, Love, Hate, Pain, freya busby
- ruff draft.., Leila Hadi
- On Repeat, Leila Hadi
- Ammunition for the Cause, Leila Hadi
- my high school poetry, Leila Hadi
- westnile, Leila Hadi
- With colors, gajanan mishra
- OBITUARY TO INNOCENTS (KILLED SCHOOL CHI.., shuvo chakraborty