I went visit a friend of mine it had been a year since
I last saw him when he had been at my home. He didn´t
look glad to see me but invited me in, appeared nervous
didn't offer me anything to drink, and I felt embarrassed.
He bent forward as to say something, but changed his mind.
I made my stay short and he was relieved to see me go.
I suddenly knew way, when he last visited me some money
in an envelope on my desk, for paying bills, went missing;
I never suspected him. I got over the loss it was only
misplaced cash. Alas, he had not forgotten his theft and it
gnawed on his mind and he could no longer bear to see me,
like he blamed me for his fall from grace. Poor man if he
needed money he could have asked me. As it is I have lost
a friend who is suffering in his own private hell.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Theft by oskar hansen )
- Just For Me, Elia Michael
- A Sad Bird, Rohit Sapra
- we are a perfect promenade, Mandolyn ...
- When Love Opened The Door, Lora Colon
- Bounty of giving, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.50, Monk E. Biz
- The hunter's trap شرك الصياد - للشاعر ال.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Tears of Eyes Speak The Truth, Rohit Sapra
- Goose bumps / song, Mark Heathcote
- The Chameleon, Sir Toby
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Heather Burns