Felicia Dorothea Hemans
DEEP, fiery clouds o'ercast the sky,
Dead stillness reigns in air,
There is not e'en a breeze, on high
The gossamer to bear.
The woods are hushed, the waves at rest,
The lake is dark and still,
Reflecting, on its shadowy breast,
Each form of rock and hill.
The lime-leaf waves not in the grove,
Nor rose-tree in the bower;
The birds have ceased their songs of love,
Awed by the threatening hour.
'T is noon;–yet nature's calm profound
Seems as at midnight deep;
–But hark! what peal of awful sound
Breaks on creation's sleep?
The thunder bursts!–its rolling might
Seems the firm hills to shake;
And in terrific splendor bright,
The gathered lightnings break.
Yet fear not, shrink not thou, my child!
Though by the bolt's descent
Were the tall cliffs in ruins piled,
And the wide forests rent.
Doth not thy God behold thee still,
With all-surveying eye?
Doth not his power all nature fill,
Around, beneath, on high?
Know, hadst thou eagle-pinions free,
To track the realms of air,
Thou couldst not reach a spot where He
Would not be with thee there!
In the wide city's peopled towers,
On the vast ocean's plains,
'Midst the deep woodland's loneliest bowers,
Alike th' Almighty reigns!
Then fear not, though the angry sky
A thousand darts should cast;–
Why should we tremble, e'en to die,
And be with Him at last?
Felicia Dorothea Hemans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Thunderstorm by Felicia Dorothea Hemans )
- Anthology, Peter Jay Shippy
- THE BESTOWING BOY, Aravind Bhargava
- BE LIKE CHEETAH, Aravind Bhargava
- Hell bent, hasmukh amathalal
- Beautiful stranger, Ahmed Tawfik
- Lynda Bellingham worthily and fondly rem.., Stanley Collymore
- From the Summit, Valsa George
- The Future Of Voices, Peter Jay Shippy
- Only few can medicae, hasmukh amathalal
- Corner, Aparna Chatterjee
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)