Henry James Pye
Like clustering tents upon the embattled mead,
See Vitis thick her small pavilions spread.
Beneath each silken veil, with studious care
Five amorous brothers woo one yielding fair;
From the sweet raptures of the fond embrace,
Soon springs a lovely and a generous race:
In purple bright, or lucid verdure clad,
The passer's eye the groups luxuriant glad;
While o'er the enchanting clusters' native hue,
Spreads a rich tincture of celestial blue.
Sweet to the taste, the swelling orbs produce
A rich profusion of ambrosial juice;
Mantling and clear, man sees the beverage shine,
And hails with grateful voice the Power of Wine.
Fair and delicious boon of favouring Heaven,
To human kind the balm of sorrow given!
By this inspir'd, behold on blither wing
Soar the young Joys, the Muses sweeter sing;
With lighter step the dancing Graces move,
And fiercer burns the golden lamp of love.
But, thoughtless man! beware of foul excess,
Nor draw a curse where Heaven design'd to bless.
Then flies the genial draught that cheer'd the soul,
And fatal poison drugs the intemperate bowl;
Amid the flowrets of the festal wreath,
The serpents writhe of anguish and of death,
Shoots pale disease along the languid frame,
And passion's burning fiends the veins inflame.
Henry James Pye's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Vine by Henry James Pye )
- Making change, Rosa. L Tenezaca
- My Home, Fatima Nusairat
- Strength is POWER!, Rosa. L Tenezaca
- With love at once, hasmukh amathalal
- Through A Puppet's Eyes (2), Dilantha Gunawardana
- Illusion perpetuates., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Love inspired meetings inspire, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Autumn, Deborah Kelley
- Fear of God?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Keep On Groovin', Lawrence S. Pertillar
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(22 March 1941 -)