James Whitcomb Riley
Thomas The Pretender
Tommy's alluz playin' jokes,
An' actin' up, an' foolin' folks;
An' wunst one time he creep
In Pa's big chair, he did, one night,
An' squint an' shut his eyes bofe tight,
An' say, 'Now I 'm asleep.'
An' nen we knowed, an' Ma know' too,
He _ain't_ asleep no more 'n you!
An' wunst he clumbed on our back'fence
An' flop his arms an' nen commence
To crow, like he's a hen;
But when he failed off, like he done,
He didn't fool us childern none,
Ner didn't _crow_ again.
An' our Hired Man, as he come by,
Says, 'Tom can't _crow_, but he kin _cry_.'
James Whitcomb Riley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thomas The Pretender by James Whitcomb Riley )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- I Feel Your Darkness, Lilly Emery
- Arabian sea., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Winter Walk..., Denis Martindale
- Year 3000 and Beyond (A Scientific Fores.., Jesus James Llorico
- When Dreams Come, Kyle Schlicher
- Horse of the Hot Bloods, tolu ogundare
- of my Pride, sEaN nOrTh
- My Eyes, Kyle Schlicher
- Big Ivory!, Denis Martindale
- My Eyes Blue And Clear, Kyle Schlicher