Ofentse Mercy Hajane
Thy is an African
Wakenth from chamber of shadows,
Arrows armed in each of thou warrior,
The darkness is thy mother.
Thou art in its mending marvel.
One would argue not the resemblance.
For even thy skin betrays thy nahying intentions of thy origin.
Great men hast not tried to mend back the power that created them.
For nature hath been glowing over them with needles of truth.
Lest ye listen to the music of the winds.
The trees whistling lo thy precious gift.
Thy camouflaged leather of life.
Appointing thee from the rest as a predator.
Silent and thus invisible under the dim glow of the stars.
Let it be light either dark.
Thy dabble in both of its advances.
Carelessly basking under the radiance of each.
Thou art a creature of great marvel.
Not even God can create thee,
Of the origin of life.
Thy is an African
Ofentse Mercy Hajane's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thy is an African by Ofentse Mercy Hajane )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Key to My Heart, Whitney Brown
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Merry Christmas Dad, David Boyce
Poem of the Day
- Excitement knows no bounds, gajanan mishra
- We are suffering., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Until Next Time, Jennifer Colyne Hall
- Unity and strength., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- That shall keep, hasmukh amathalal
- Change the scene, hasmukh amathalal
- To Whom It May Concern, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Unsuitable, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney