Time is a circle...
You'd think that after
shuffling down ten hundred
thousand streets or more,
you'd know where your feet
it's not quite like
the circle that follows
unless you realise
or jam your finger,
damn it! , then back to start -
or without particulars,
would you come back to life...
in that millisecond
that splits immeasurably,
I mean at what point does
the mind break down,
after your whole belief
system has gone...?
the streets full of people,
always so strong in their bearing...
A statue does rise,
emptying itself of all
time and pain, and things
that should have meant less,
this is the 'one off',
the you, left among so many others,
but somehow unallowed to resist...
'we're always watching...
the world can see you
everywhere you go...',
you are not alone,
even when you think you are...
don't you like that sense
of escape...in your head,
where nothing and nobody
can touch you,
safest place to go...
ah! but all the heavy
mechanisms will reappear,
and it won't be long
before your back -
wondering what to think
next or do...
confused, one should seek
something new or at least
feel placated before surrendering
the knots in the circle,
are so tough and menacing,
especially the noughts at the end
of everything we slave for...
GRANT FRASER's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Time is a circle... by GRANT FRASER )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Your Laughter, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Dream Variations, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- ALL MY DAYS, Colin Ian Jeffery
- Siclliano, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Goodnight Kiss 3, Michael P. McParland
- Mona Lisa, The Enigmatic Masterpiece, Rajesh Thankappan
- A Dream Of Death, Luo Zhihai
- Why Life?, Sandra Feldman
- Adrenaline, Raihana Abdul Jabbar
- What was this feeling?, Sergio Jaime
- MERI PRAKRATI, Gunjan Panchal
- There Are So Many Things I Can Still Do, Shalom Freedman