John Greenleaf Whittier
To George B. Cheever
So spake Esaias: so, in words of flame,
Tekoa's prophet-herdsman smote with blame
The traffickers in men, and put to shame,
All earth and heaven before,
The sacerdotal robbers of the poor.
All the dread Scripture lives for thee again,
To smite like lightning on the hands profane
Lifted to bless the slave-whip and the chain.
Once more the old Hebrew tongue
Bends with the shafts of God a bow new-strung!
Take up the mantle which the prophets wore;
Warn with their warnings, show the Christ once more
Bound, scourged, and crucified in His blameless poor;
And shake above our land
The unquenched bolts that blazed in Hosea's hand!
Not vainly shalt thou cast upon our years
The solemn burdens of the Orient seers,
And smite with truth a guilty nation's ears.
Mightier was Luther's word
Than Seckingen's mailed arm or Hutton's sword!
John Greenleaf Whittier's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To George B. Cheever by John Greenleaf Whittier )
- Hoping For The Best, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 'what color is it? ' they thought, after.., Mandolyn ...
- mary the narcoleptic shepherd, joni frog
- First Encounter - khairy Jamaluddin, john tiong chunghoo
- Laugh And Chuckle, Harold R Hunt Sr
- In success, hasmukh amathalal
- You are not allowed, gajanan mishra
- Liaison, hasmukh amathalal
- Coming To Light, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Sally With Arachnophobia ..... [SPIDERS.., Bri Edwards
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)