To Give, and To Get, Birth
Is giving a birth unloading or bearing?
Is getting a birth gaining or suffering?
A child would forgo receiving kisses
If each kiss is followed by a pinch.
A lad would refrain from kissing his girl
If each kiss is rewarded with a slap.
One might want to avoid giving birth,
For the burden that comes from happiness.
One might want to escape getting rebirth
For the suffering that comes from happiness.
Lust for sex is a bait to get young ones.
Births withheld, baits are chewed, for fear of pain.
The drive for procreation is dying.
To be free of rebirth can be achieved.
Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.'s Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Give, and To Get, Birth by Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar. )
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 31 July 2014, Shri R Brahma
- It's October 1st. Did you pay your mortg.., Jena Crowe
- Princess Diana, Sonia Ode Lucci
- Revolution, Revolution, Revolu -, Romella Kitchens
- हमें आपके लिए.. hame aapke liye, hasmukh amathalal
- Dusky Day in Dallas, michael walker
- Mom, Barbara Dixion
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)