To Glorify War Heroes
Though talk of war and death and such I do not wish to hear
To glorify war heroes we have the balladeer
The old men displaying their medals march on war memorial day
Though they look tired and weary now and they are old and gray.
They weep for comrades who died young in battles far away
Young men who were buried in mass graves their bones far from home lay
'Tis said they died in freedom's cause though many with that do not agree
Since any lessons have not been learned from man's war history.
Each time I listen to the news the headlines mostly bad
A suicide bombing in Palestine a car bombing in Baghdad
More atrocities with a direct link to terrorism to many it would seem
But to those who give their own lives to kill the fulfilment of a heroic dream.
Of suffering and deaths linked to war so much has been written and said
And wives and mothers in the World today still mourn their war dead
And still the soldiers come back home to a victory parade
For people who shoot at other people too much respect is paid.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Glorify War Heroes by Francis Duggan )
Did you read them?
- Beside you walks a woman, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- A name on the tree, Pradip Chattopadhyay
- Standing In The Middle, Katherine Perry
- Non - Compliance, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Not Understanding, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Is homosexual an adultery?, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- my heart zeal's with the angels, Antonio Liao
- Peace Of The Soul, Michael McParland
- Dream: Not Scream, Aftab Alam
- Do you?, Petai Jirakongpipat
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dirge, Ralph Waldo Emerson
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Incident In A Rose Garden (By Donald Jus.., michael zhitnitsky
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)