To Glorify War Heroes
Though talk of war and death and such I do not wish to hear
To glorify war heroes we have the balladeer
The old men displaying their medals march on war memorial day
Though they look tired and weary now and they are old and gray.
They weep for comrades who died young in battles far away
Young men who were buried in mass graves their bones far from home lay
'Tis said they died in freedom's cause though many with that do not agree
Since any lessons have not been learned from man's war history.
Each time I listen to the news the headlines mostly bad
A suicide bombing in Palestine a car bombing in Baghdad
More atrocities with a direct link to terrorism to many it would seem
But to those who give their own lives to kill the fulfilment of a heroic dream.
Of suffering and deaths linked to war so much has been written and said
And wives and mothers in the World today still mourn their war dead
And still the soldiers come back home to a victory parade
For people who shoot at other people too much respect is paid.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Glorify War Heroes by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Family Watching Television, Justin Reamer
- Matrimonial, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- And Diamond Light Filled The Kingdom, mary douglas
- Its your bday again, Sneha Celine
- The Ice Cream Panes Of August Melt, mary douglas
- Mad truth....., PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Summer's End, Rebecca Leidner
- Before the Storm, Justin Reamer
- A Fast Approaching Storm (tanka), hap rochelle
- Rescue Dog, Rebecca Leidner