When, by sorrow inspired,
The poet sings his own pine,
Whose soul will be cold and tired
To give not him the answer, fine?
Who, greedy for the old damnation,
Will dare to scoff at sadness, else?
But all are cold to execration,
The imitated cry's vexation,
Affected wailing is a jest!
The poet, stirring every soul,
Has reached the suffers' mysteries,
Without worm of somewhat boiling,
Complaisant labored musings' tricks.
In struggle with fate's severe pressure
He took the measure of high strengths,
And bought their rudiment expression
At the price of painful hearty cramps.
Therefore his image is encircled
By rays of the unfading light,
And, like a martyr, he is honored
By people of the different kind.
But your Muse, so meretricious,
Which dreams to raise emphatic wishes
In humane hearts by loaned pine,
Is like a beggar outrageous,
Who begs for contributions gracious,
Keeping a child, who isn't her one.
Yevgeny Baratynsky's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Imitators by Yevgeny Baratynsky )
- Rijles, Madrason writer
- Game On Us, Malaya Roses
- MATHS; Mental Attack To Healthy Students?, Anishka Singh
- ಕುಮಾರ ರಗಳೆ, Deepak Malapur
- The Lion Tamer - Extract from Phantasmag.., Matthew Lawler
- The Joy Of Christmas, Joseph Ogbonna
- Fearsome route, gajanan mishra
- मीडिया, Priyanka Gupta
- The Daughter of the Earth - 19, gajanan mishra
- सीने में आग भरो, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Psalm of Life, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- My Teacher, My Hero, Geneen Alyssa Meyers
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1886 - 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)