To My Daughter Ellen, On Her Wedding Day, March 20, 1859
Ellen, on this glad occasion
I address to you a rhyme,
And in tones of sweet persuasion
Would advise you at this time.
If full measure of enjoyment
You would seek in married life,
Make it daily your employment
To avoid what leads to strife.
Prize, O prize, both now and ever,
Joseph's confidence of love.
See that fits of temper never
Drive him forth from home to rove.
Should he show unlooked for weakness,
Hide the secret in your breast,
And expostulate with meekness
When you have God's Throne addressed.
Always aim to dress with neatness,
Though your clothes be e'er so plain;
Add to this your mother's sweetness,
If you would love's sway maintain.
Should yours prove a life of trial,
May you both still look above.
Exercise in self-denial
Strengthens pre-existing love.
I have found that constant blessing
Springs from troubles sanctified,
And when needs have been most pressing,
God himself those needs supplied.
To His care I therefore leave you,
Bid you lean upon his arm;
May naught soon arise to grieve you,
Naught to damp affection warm.
Thomas Cowherd's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To My Daughter Ellen, On Her Wedding Day, March 20, 1859 by Thomas Cowherd )
- Behind The Mountains, Bismark Sosu
- Sonnet # 530, Luis Estable
- Jesus saw something in me that others fa.., Royston Allen
- Seasons Away, Bismark Sosu
- "What manner of Man is this? ".., Royston Allen
- The Bench, Renee Russon
- Sonnet # 529, Luis Estable
- Desire, Deborah Kelley
- DO NOT ASSUME, Donald R Charon
- poisons by s.r 2, skye robertson
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)