Gavrila Romanovich Derzhavin
To Rulers and Judges
He's risen - Highest God - to do the judgment, fair,
Of the earthly ones in their whole band;
How long - he sad - how long will you else spare
The unjust and wicked people in your land.
Your sacred duty is to make support for laws,
To make no favor to the strongest ones,
To leave the widows and orphans in your borders
Without help and safety not once.
To save the innocent from all that harm and wrong is,
To give good shelter to unhappy folks,
To shield the weak from evil of the strongest,
To drew the poor from their heavy bonds.
They don't hear the words! They see and they don't know
Their eyes are covered with a veil of bribes and wealth,
The black injustice shakes the havens' dome,
And wicked deeds convulse the whole earth.
I thought, kings, you are strong as strong the gods of heavens,
And nobody else can judge you on the earth,
But you, like I, live in the yoke of passions,
And, just like I'm , are serfs of the Lord Death.
And you shall fall like leafs fall, that are withered,
From wet and bare trees by the autumnal sky!
And you will die, the great and wealthy caesar,
Just like your poorest slave will die!
Arise, at last, O God! God of the just and purest!
Hark to the prayers they recall with for your grace:
Come, judge, chastise the wicked worldly rulers,
And be the only king on Haven and the earth.
Gavrila Romanovich Derzhavin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Rulers and Judges by Gavrila Romanovich Derzhavin )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
Poem of the Day
- Those moments of weakness, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- lost, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Apps, Phil Soar
- rapture, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Mind Games, Perveiz Ali
- dancing politics, ABAYOMI OGUNNIYI
- Always Open, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Right choice, hasmukh amathalal
- Marriage and morals., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- For her age, hasmukh amathalal