Tonight, the words fall on this page,
like rain before the driving wind.
The storm that drives them from my mind,
have been raging for years.
For a while I stumbled after your shadow,
always ahead of me, never looking back.
I dragged myself through the mud
and finally got my footing back,
but I had fallen to far behind,
and you were already gone.
I called your name until my voice left me too,
and then the night embraced me with raven's wings.
In the comfort of it's silence i now hide,
while outside, wild winds tear at the fabric of my thoughts,
and forces itself through the feathers.
I enjoy the imagined warmth,
and I rest in the false safety.
I feed of the storm's anger,
allowing it to fill the empty places and hide my fears.
As the day approach, the storm calms,
but I do not come from under the raven's wings.
Here I will rest a little,
and tonight I will search for your shadow again,
I will fight the storm again
and I will welcome the raven again...
Dewald Viljoen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tonight by Dewald Viljoen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
James Russell Lowell
(22 February 1819 – 12 August 1891)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Total Encompassing Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Notes Of Sadness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Living With Shadows, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Childhood Preparing Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Tempted, Electric Lady
- Sincerity, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Explanations In Verse, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Coinciding Thoughts, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Rivers, Angela Khristin Brown
- (BOOK # 6) : Sheila And Clifford: BACK I.., Bri Edwards