Three consecutive, angry, late Autumn
Frosts ate their way up the towering kudzu blanket
Thrown over the tall trees along the road up to
Ravaging the thick leaves like millions of ravenous moths
Feasting at a buffet of deep green cloth.
Though tattered, browning and unraveling,
The weekend's sun mended the blanket somehow
And the trees were still not trees.
Monday dragged in a weeks worth of cold, hard rain.
By Friday the blanket was threadbare but still
Clinging to the trees. Saturday's biting wind finally
Pulled the blanket down.
The trees were trees again.
Giddy to see the sky. Relieved
The long summer of peeking through small
Holes for sun and air, and catching
Odd stares from passing cars and walkers
Is over. Just happy to be seen for what they are again
And not gaudy kudzu towers, dragons, gaping ghosts, or
In my case, my father's stern, pointed face.
Francis Santaquilani's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Trees Again by Francis Santaquilani )
- Global Village, Bijay Kant Dubey
- PRETTY GOOD START.., ging taping
- Draw me in your heart, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- The thirst is a thorn., Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Simple toys, hasmukh amathalal
- Acquaintance across the gender, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
- Begining of my love, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- What is all truth, Nehemiah Theophylus Haokip
- Let all people, hasmukh amathalal
- To be successful…, Rm.Shanmugam Chettiar.
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)